Picture of Jane McConnellJane McConnell

Intranet and portal strategy specialist

Founder, NetStrategy/JMC

Jane McConnell is an intranet and portal strategy specialist. She founded NetStrategy/JMC in 2001 and works primarily with companies and organisations with complex intranets and challenges. McConnell's expertise is the following areas: positioning and strategy roadmaps for intranets and portals, governance and intranet management issues, customisation strategies as well as how social media concepts applied internally can bring value to organisations.

McConnell initiated the Annual Global Intranet Strategies Survey in 2006, and publishes the annual results each October in the Global Intranet Trends Report. In 2008, 226 organisations around the world participated.

She writes the column "International Intranets" for the magazine "Intranets: Enterprise Strategies and Solutions" (Information Today). She is co-author of "L'avantage internet pour l'entreprise", the first marketing and communication-based internet business book for senior executives in France (Dunod,1996), and contributing author to "L'intranet dans tous ses etats".

Jane publishes regularly on the blog "Globally Local & Locally Global". She can be found at netjmc on Twitter and started up the Twitter group "Intranetwatch" in 2008.

Based in the south of France, McConnell has a working base in Paris and travels to client locations primarily in Europe and North America.

NetStrategy/JMC

NetStrategy/JMC is based in Europe and specialises in intranet strategies and practices.

Globally local - locally global

View the 5 latest postings from Globally local - locally global

 

Tutorial

Tuesday, November 4th: 09.00 - 12.00

Presentation

Wednesday, November 5th: 10.30 - 12.00

Track: State of the Intranet

Getting to Essential - Still a Long Path

Jane has conducted the annual Global Intranet Strategies Survey with organisations around the world since 2006. She has been working in the intranet space for 12 years. Over this time, intranets have been transformed dramatically. However, in 2008, intranets are still a huge untapped potential for senior decision-makers and budget holders in most organisations.

In 2007, 11% of the Global Intranet Survey participants said the intranet was "the way of working" in their organisations. In 2008 this doubled to 22 %. That's good news. The less good news is the other 78 %. How are these "essential intranets" different and how did they get there?

Jane's talk will answer the following questions:

  • How are they positioned and perceived within their enterprises?
  • How do these organisations define and govern their intranets?
  • What are their content strategies?
  • How do they approach collaboration?
  • How are they integrating social media?

Jane will also talk about how the role of "intranet managers" is evolving, how can they make a bigger impact within their enterprises and above all, how they can enter into meaningful conversations with the senior decision-makers.



Download

Links